- Abd Allah B. Mughaffal reported the apostle of Allah as saying: Were dogs not a species of creature I should command that they all be killed; but kill every pure black one. (Sunan Abu Dawud, book 10, #2839)
- Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed. (Sahih Bukhari, vol. 4, #540)
- Ibn Mughaffal reported: Allah's messenger ordered the killing of dogs and then said, "what is the trouble with them (the people of Medina? How dogs are nuisances to them (the citizens of Medina)? He then permitted keeping of dogs for hunting and (the protection of) herds. ...[and for] for the protection of cultivated land. (Sahih Muslim, 3814)
- Abu Zubair heard Jabir Abdullah saying: Allah's messenger ordered us to kill dogs and we carried out this order so much so that we also killed the dog roaming with a women from the desert. Then Allah's apostle forbade their killing. He said: "It is your duty to kill the jet-black (dog) having two spots (on the eyes) for it is a devil. (Sahih Muslim 3813).
- ...He [Gabriel] said: Yes, but we [angels] do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. Then on that very morning he [Muhammad] commanded the killing of the dogs until he announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog meant for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens). (Sahih Muslim, 24:5248)
Certain hadiths note Muhammad's hatred for dogs, particularly black ones. Is the basis for Muhammad's hatred sound and logical, or is there a problem with Muhammad's heart?
These are the hadiths to think about, as we strive to answer the question above:
Of course, the major difference between Muhammad and the Great Emancipator, Abraham Lincoln, is that Muhammad took free people and turned them into slaves, whereas Lincoln's actions ultimately turned slaves into free people. But consider another possible difference: Lincoln said "I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it."
Is there any evidence that Islam makes life better for dogs and not worse?
If Someone Said "A black cat is Satanic," we would likely conclude that this person is being superstitious. But what do we conclude if instead what was said was "a black dog is Satanic"?
Abu Dharr reported: The Messenger of 'Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When any one of you stands for prayer and there is a thing before him equal to the back of the saddle that covers him and in case there is not before him (a thing) equal to the back of the saddle, his prayer would be cut off by (passing of an) ass, woman, and black Dog. I said: O Abu Dharr, what feature is there in a black dog which distinguish it from the red dog and the yellow dog? He said: O, son of my brother, I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) as you are asking me, and he said: The black dog is a devil. (Sahih Muslim 4:1032).
Please look at the dogs on this webpage. Are all of them "devils"?
Consider the following hadith:
Maimuna reported that one morning Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) was silent with grief. Maimuna said: Allah's Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me tonight, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises, and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) spent the day in this sad (mood). Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He commanded and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it at that place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: you promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. Then on that very morning he commanded the killing of the dogs until he announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog meant for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens). (Sahih Muslim, 24:5248)
Muhammad did not have a picture; Gabriel mentioned "picture" just to give a complete list of items that prevent angels from entering homes.
Our first debate question is: "Is there a logical reason why angels refrain from entering homes with dogs but not homes with cats?"
Our 2nd debate question is: "Is there a valid reason why dogs should lose their lives because a single dog was in Muhammad's home?"